by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Chiropractic Journal of Australia : CJA December 2013
152 Chiropractic Journal of Australia Volume 43 Number 4 December 2013 teaching today, eighteen have three months schools, three between six and nine and one twelve months and two eighteen and over. Nineteen schools have a tuition of $100 or under, the balance over." 81 Social Aspects Delta Sigma Chi Professional Fraternity On Independence Day, 4 July 1913, a group of chiropractic students of the three chiropractic schools in Davenport, the Palmer School, the Universal College of Chiropractic and the Davenport College of Chiropractic held a picnic at Credit Island. Within this large group, a smaller group of friends discussed the subject of a chiropractic Greek letter fraternity. On 13 July 1913, the frst meeting of the fedging organization took place, which is now the celebrated birth of the legacy of Delta Sigma Chi (ΔΣΧ). The founding fathers included Harold Hughes of Medicine Hat, Canada; J.D. Hills of Detroit, Michigan; John Reardon of Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Harry Cummings of Fort Lauderdale, Florida and S.E. Julander of Des Moines, Iowa. At that meeting they completed their plans for a Greek letter Professional Chiropractic Fraternity by electing temporary offcers and appointed a committee to draft a constitution and bylaws. The offcial name selected: Delta Sigma Chi (DSC) stands for Doctors of Straight Chiropractic. On November 6, 1913, B.J. Palmer was initiated into the brotherhood of Delta Sigma Chi. Five years later Brother Palmer was unanimously elected the honorary president of the fraternity.82 By December 1913 the fraternity had 45 members.83 Melting Pot The 'PSC Intellectual Melting Pot' was established in February 1910. It met weekly and it object was to give students the opportunity of presenting chiropractic by delivering addresses in the lecture hall to the student body and friends.84 By 1913, with a much larger student body, the format had changed and now different states were given a week each to produce the evenings program, which consisted of extemporaneous talks, one act skits, musical interludes, etc, which allowed the audience to relax from the grind of the studies of the week.85 Other Under the motto 'all work and no play puts Jack on the blink' entertainment programs were also produced, including a lecture by Elbert Hubbard, and performances by the Lyric Glee Club; the English Opera Singers, a full company; the Famous Old Kentucky Jubilee Quartet, negroes with their Southern melodies; Maude Stevens Concert Co.; Fisher Shipp Concert Co.; the Chicago Lyceum Players; and W. Howard Hale, impersonator.86 The PSC Ball Club gave a dance at the Turner Hall which was well attended. The money raised was used for equipping the team.87 A Greater PSC Committee was formed during May with the object of looking after students’ interests and to work for the good of the institution as a whole, members being elected by the different classes, a forerunner of future Student Councils.88 Teaching Aids Life size human manikins showing over 500 different parts of the body in natural size and colour went on display during the 1913 convention.95 B.J. lamented the fact that frst quality spines were almost impossible to source. He mused that a possible solution would be imitation spines. Again he was way ahead of his time. Another future solution, he suggested, was for chiropractors to donate their spines upon their death. Again another example of his thinking as "Organ Donation" would in time be a common way of harvesting needed parts of the human body.96 Public Relations The frst of what later would be called ‘Disease Tracts’ were made available in February 1913. Based on articles prepared by the faculty and published in The Chiropractor under the title Faculty Facts, the frst ones, available at $2.00 per 100, were: Spastic Spinal Paralysis and also Infantile Paralysis by J.N. Firth, DC, PhC; Glands and their uses, by M.H. Palmer, DC. PhC; Ectopic Pregnancy by H.A. Duval, DC; Palpation by H.E. Vedder, DC, PhC; Everybody and also Retracing by B.J. Palmer, DC, PhC. Other pamphlets were scheduled to be published as the appeared under Faculty Facts.97 Moving pictures of the Palmer school of chiropractic were being shown in the middle west. These pictures were taken the last of March by the Capitol City flm Co., of Des Moines. Iowa, in connection with the pictures of Greater Davenport. They show the students leaving the school after the morning session, present a view of the clinic in action and the student body seated, and also a picture of Dr. and Mrs. B.J. Palmer.98 B.J. wrote that every once in a while some physician or osteopath loses a patient to a Chiropractor through whom he gets well; the failure scribbles his spleen on fools cap, shoots it to his offcial professional publication and lo, a roast appears. In the Osteopathic Physician of May 1913, appeared Delta Sigma Chi Emblem. Courtesy Peters-Chance Archives THE YEAR THAT WAS 1913 PETERS
CJA September 2013