by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Chiropractic Journal of Australia : CJA June 2013
54 Chiropractic Journal of Australia Volume 43 Number 2 June 2013 Glenda Wiese, PhD Rolf and Mary Ann became the co-editors of the Journal of the Australian Chiropractors'Association (JACA) in December 1983. On the amalgamation in 1991 of the Australian Chiropractors’ Association and the United Chiropractors Association into the Chiropractors’ Association of Australia the journal was renamed Chiropractic Journal of Australia (CJA). Their involvement in chiropractic history led them to two chiropractic observers: Glenda Wiese and Alana Callender. In the early 1990s, Mary Ann was researching her family’s history, which entailed many hours in the Palmer College of Chiropractic’s Special Collections, the domain of Glenda Wiese for almost three decades. Glenda Sue Coppersmith was born in Oskaloosa, Iowa, in May 1948, and was raised on a farm near What Cheer, Iowa, where D. D. Palmer once had his grocery store and B.J. Palmer was born. She attended grade school in a two-room country school in Indianapolis, Iowa, and graduated from Oskaloosa High School. Glenda met her future husband, Carl Wiese, while at the University of Iowa. After he was drafted into the Army during the Vietnam War, they lived on the economy in Berlin, Germany. Mrs. Wiese graduated from University of Iowa with a Master's of Arts degree in Library Science in 1974. She started her professional career as head of children's service at the Bettendorf [Iowa] Public Library. After six years there, she took two part-time positions at the Palmer College library and was able to combine the two positions into one full- time job that combined technical services and special collections. When Wiese took over Special Collections, it was a small reading room, with the materials ftting on eight shelves. A lot of material was added in the 1980's when the storage in the elevator shaft that BJ built in 1920 for the B.J. Palmer Classroom Building on the Palmer College of Chiropractic campus was emptied. The college had been piling fling cabinet upon fling cabinet since the building was frst opened. When the Americans with Disabilities Act required the installation of an elevator, the shaft needed to be cleared. It was this accession that made the collection unique. Today, Palmer’s Chiropractic Special Collections is second to none and its development is Wiese's greatest professional accomplishment. Researchers from around the world have taken advantage of the collection and Wiese's guidance. A CIRCLE OF FRIENDS CALLENDER
CJA March 2013
CJA September 2013