by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Chiropractic Journal of Australia : CJA September 2012
Chiropractic Journal of Australia Volume 42 Number 3 September 2012 117 CHIROPRACTIC PRACTICE IN NEW SOUTH WALES EATON et al age, mainly between 30 and 50 years (71.2%). Twenty one point three percent (21.3%) of respondents were aged 50 years or older. The majority (81.8%) of the respondents were born in Australia (Table 2). Of the chiropractors surveyed, 94% were still in active practice, with 6% indicating that they were retired. Tables 3 and 4 indicate the location of the respondents with regard to where they live and work respectively. It is apparent that roughly 70% of chiropractors in NSW live and work in metropolitan areas, with the remaining 30% living and practicing in rural and remote areas (or interstate). Practitioner Information Education Table 5 reveals the place of education of the respondents. Close to 90% of participants graduated from one of three Australian chiropractic schools (MQU, Sydney College of Chiropractic, and RMIT) with a total of 16 chiropractic schools represented in the sample. Most of these chiropractors in NSW had graduated from MQU or the Sydney College of Chiropractic. Table 6 shows the year of graduation of respondents. Almost 65% of respondents graduated after 1985, with close to half of those in the 5 years between 1996 and 2001 (which was the last reported graduation date in this survey). Table 7 shows the level/type of qualification of the respondents. It was diffcult to make conclusions from the responses relating to the level of qualifcation as it is largely dependent on the time period in which qualifcations were attained (and therefore the level of qualifcation required to practice as a chiropractor). The institute in which the qualifications were obtained also had an influence on qualifcation type. Note that respondents may have reported more than one qualifcation hence the fgures in Table 7 are reported in frequencies rather than relative frequencies. The following patterns were noted: the respondents with a Master of Chiropractic degree (MChiroprac.) generally obtained this qualifcation at MQU graduating after 1990, those with a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC degree) either studied overseas or at the Sydney College of Chiropractic (graduating 1989 or earlier). Sydney College of Chiropractic graduates received the DC degree from 1964 to 1985 or the Graduate diploma in Chiropractic from 1986 to 1990. Similarly the Doctor of Osteopathy (DO degree) was offered by the Sydney College of Chiropractic (1986 or earlier). Later graduates from Sydney College of Chiropractic account for the majority of the Graduate Diplomas. The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology and its antecedent (Preston/Phillip Institute of Technology) graduates accounted for the majority of the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAppSc) degrees reported. Participants were questioned regarding their beliefs about the adequacy of their chiropractic training (Table 8). Almost 79% of respondents believed that their training adequately prepared them for practice, particularly in the areas of differential diagnosis (21%) and chiropractic technique (17%). The areas that respondents perceived to be weaker in their overall education were business skills (29%) and radiology (21%). Overall, respondents felt they were better trained in the medical aspects compared to the business and administration aspects of the profession. Eighty six percent Table 6 Year of Graduation Year Relative Frequency (%) 1975 or earlier 8.0 1976-1985 27.0 1986-1995 34.0 1996-2001 30.0 Missing 1.0 Total 100.0 Table 7 Type of Qualifcation Qualifcation Frequency DC 48.0 MChiroprac. 84.0 Grad. Dip. Chiro./ Grad Dip Paed. 34.0 BAppSc 31.0 DO. 27.0 PhD. 3.0 DC= Doctor of Chiropractic, MChiroprac.= Master of Chiropractic, Grad. Dip. Chiro. = Graduate Diploma in Chiropractic, Grad. Dip. Paed. = Graduate Diploma in Paediatrics, BAppSc= Bachelor of Applied Science, DO= Doctor of Osteopathy, PhD= Doctorate of Philosophy Table 8 Perceptions Regarding Adequacy of Training Perception Relative Frequency (%) Adequate 78.6 Inadequate 21.4 Total 100.0 Table 9 Number of Practices Worked in at the Time of Survey Number Relative Frequency (%) 1 79.0 2 19.2 3 1.4 Missing 0.4 Total 100.0
CJA June 2012
CJA December 2012